Monday, April 25, 2005

The return of Ephedra

Ephedra is naturally occuring substance with it's active ingredient being Ephedrine.

Ephedrine is a stimulant, with pseudoephedrine being one of the ingredients used to manufacture amphetamine, more commonly known as the drug speed. Because Ephedra comes naturally from a plant the DSHEA laws in the US, allowed ephedra to be promoted as a "natural" health product.

There were many promotions claiming that ephedra made your metabolism speed up, buring off fat at a faster rate and that it enhanced athletic performance. When combined with other stimulants, such as caffeine, the result can be dangerous. Importantly, there are no studies or tests proving that ephedra acts on the human body as stated by the promoters.

The popularity of ephedra climbed, as did the body count. When 23 year old athelete, Steve Bechler, a promising baseball player for the Baltimore Orioles died, the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) finally acted to have the substance banned. The FDA weighed the benefits of ephedra against the risks and determined that with no proven benefit, that any amount was too great to risk.

Unfortunately, that decision has been overturned in a recent court case. An ephedra supplier, Nutraceutical Corporation claimed the FDA was wrong to ban it's product that would only supply 10mg on ephedrine if taken as labelled. The court ruled that the FDA was incorrect to use the risk/benefit model in determining the safety of a substance. the court concluded that with no study showing that ephedra at 10mg per day is dangerous, the decision to ban the product was wrong.

Now, wait a minute. There is no scientific evidence that ephedra provides any benefit at all. There is evidence that ephedra is dangerous at higher copncentrations. This shows that the DSHEA laws are working exactly as they were intended. Not to protect the public against dangerous and unproven substances, but to protect those who wish to sell these unproven treatments without having to provide any evidence that they work.

Those in Australia and New Zealand thinking that this is one of those "only in America" stories, I have some bad news. The Australian body that regulates medicines, the Therapuetic Goods Administration (TGA) has similar rules. Listed items (SCAM) are not required to show any scientific evidence of efficacy. Regardless of the rules, there are always companies willing to sell banned products.

Surely, any item that is being sold to the public with health claims should be required to be able to prove those claims. Our current system where you can sell anything until there is proof that the substance kills would be laughable, if it was not responsible for so many deaths each year.

Health & medicine must be based on scientific fact, not superstition and faith.

"There is only one truth. How we interpret that truth is called belief."
"The presence of belief, does not indicate the existence of truth."

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 16, 2005 1:25:00 pm, Blogger Kevin Paine said...

Stephen is correct. Virtually anything in a high enough quantity can be toxic.

People should consult their doctor before taking ephedra or any other supplement. The doctor should be kept up to date with the latest research and advise based on scientifically proven research, not the marketing claims of pharmacuetical or supplement companies.

We all make mistakes as I have with this article. Thanks Stephen for pointing them out.

 
At Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:06:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Journal of the American Medical Association published a study a few years back concluding that ephedrine in a caffeine stack or an ECA Stack can produce 2.2 lbs of fat burned per month. Important to check with a doctor, but definitely a lot of thermogenic power in this supplement!

 
At Friday, February 14, 2014 1:12:00 am, Anonymous onel said...

Great information, thank you
http://vitday.com

 
At Wednesday, June 04, 2014 6:19:00 am, Anonymous Martha said...

this is a very interesting article that shows that if you are dubbing something as a natural product you can even sell substances with narcotic effects. on the other hand it is hard to ban all things in the world. I do not think this is an isolated incident kamagra jelly kaufen

 
At Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:31:00 am, Anonymous Christof said...

some medicines get banned and approved again as they are found to be effective for something else if there is no alternative yet. for some their life cycle starts again.

 
At Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:35:00 pm, Blogger Clara david said...

WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are David
Clara I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was sicking of
breast cancer and her name is David Sandra I and my family have taking her
to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided to go to
the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
herbal man who has the root and half to cure all kind of disease and the
herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man for my
younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
can I receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me

That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him
+2348110114739 for the cure, he will help you out with the
problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
davidclara223@gmail.com or whatsApp me +1845-652-1151

 
At Tuesday, November 06, 2018 7:21:00 pm, Anonymous Louis Wiley said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back at some point. I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice afternoon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home